Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Woes of the Developing Athlete

Alt. Title: The Toes of the Developing Athlete

For years I've had horrible toe pain caused, I thought, by ugly corns on both pinkie toes and lately by corns between my toes. You can imagine how much the addition of extensive walking and workouts helped the problem. On my long Sunday walks, I can hardly feel my toes at all by the time I'm finished. The process of getting to numbness is excruciating.

But, no more! I saw a podiatrist a few weeks ago and he diagnosed bone spurs on both pinkie toes. He recommended a procedure I can't pronounce, but basically it involved making a small incision on both pinkie toes (5th toes in podiatrist-speak) and shaving off the bone spurs. Ooh! Ouch! The whole idea of it made my stomach churn, but the idea of pain-free walks was really appealing. Throw in the concept of corn-free toes that might look semi-attractive in sandals, and my decision was made. On last Thursday, I went to my podiatrist's office and had my toe bones shaved. Ooh! Ouch!

The past two days have not been fun. I'm supposed to stay off my feet as much as possible, and I have to wear goofy black sandals thingies. They may protect my feet, but they're killing my legs. (Apparently there are muscles in my legs Ashley and Rachel haven't found yet. But let's let that be our little secret.) Vicodin helps during the roughest times, but I don't like the groggy aftermath. Today, I've managed with Tylenol, and I'm hoping to continue that.

When the podiatrist suggested the surgery, my first question was, "How long before I can work out?" (Which goes to show the difference six months and 56 pounds can make!) Dr. K. says it will probably be three weeks before I feel like doing anything in the way of exercise. That's a little scary. I've stocked up on fresh fruits and low-cal snacks and so far there haven't been any food melt-downs, but I'm a little nervous about it. I'll have to come up with some distractions.

That's all for now. If anything exciting happens, let me know. I'll be sitting here with my feet up.

2 comments:

Moon said...

Ouch! That procedure sounds horrendous! I do hope your feets get to feeling better soon.

And I hear you on being nervous about all the time off your feet and away from walking, but Miss C, if anyone can do it you can! You'll probably be able to return to all your mega-impressive weightlifting earlier than the three week cap, so it's not like you'll be doing nothing! Maybe you can also get some suggestions from your trainers about cardio stuff that you don't have to use your legs for - I think there's probably a lot of good exercises out there for the chairbound and injured athletes, huh? Which is what you (temporarily) are :)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Moon!!! Princess of Wisdom, Tenacity, and Inspiration! Thank you for stopping by. You are so right: there will be things I can do, arm-wise, that will keep me going, even if it's just waving them around in despair. *g*

Cammy, who misses her friends

Post a Comment